Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Our Second Anniversary...In Sakhalin!


Hello from Sakhalin! 
We got internet last night, just in time for our special day today…Today is our 2nd Anniversary!
The past two years have without question been the best years of my life!  I love you Red!!  We have had so many adventures in just two years and I anticipate many more in the future.  We have both grown a lot during that time and are continuing to learn from one another and from others around us. 
I never ever imagined that I would be spending my second anniversary on Sakhalin Island, Russia.  I had never really anticipated living on an island, especially not an island next to Siberia, but that is exactly where we are!  Coming to Sakhalin has been a mix of emotions for me as the excitement of exploring a new country requires leaving my family and friends, my church, and my work which brought some sadness, especially as we left the airport in Houston on a one way ticket.  Stepping out into a new place with new faces and language and lifestyle is honestly quite intimidating.  That being said, I know that I am where I am supposed to be.
Just a few things that moving has already made me THANKFUL for…
  • I am thankful that my God hears me even from Russia.
  • I am thankful that Red and I are together.
  • I am thankful for old friends and for new ones.
  • I am thankful for warm clothes and a warm house.
Speaking of being thankful, I have been remembering back to our wedding today and can hardly believe two years have passed since that day.  People often say their wedding day was a blur, but I remember my wedding day well.  I remember being so excited that I could hardly sleep and waking up to find that Red had asked Lindsey to have a surprise outside the door waiting for me when I woke up in the morning (He’s always been romantic!).  I remember having a fabulous bridal brunch, getting my hair and makeup done, getting into my dress, taking pictures, waiting, waiting and waiting…I remember the processional music starting and knowing grandparents and parents were headed down the aisle, then one by one my bridesmaids leaving to walk down the aisle, then the flower girls, and then just me and my dad behind the closed church doors.  I remember the doors opening and seeing my handsome groom overcome with emotion and knowing that I loved him with all my heart (and yes, this was real, I was the bride in a beautiful dress, walking down the aisle in a church that I love, surrounded by people who I love) as I walked toward the Godly man who I am now married to.  I remember the wedding ceremony: the message on Colossians 3, our vows, our first kiss, more pictures, and our reception.  Everything about our reception was absolutely beautiful (thanks to Natalie and her helpers).  The coffee bar, special family appetizers and Christmas tree were enchanting and we had such a wonderful time at dinner with family and friends.  Red did an excellent job choosing the cake and gelato, everything was delicious.  The music and dancing were fun and I don’t know about the rest of you, but I was overjoyed!  Thank you so much to our parents and to everyone else who helped make the day special!  I can hardly believe it has already been two years!
Now I know you are all curious about Sakhalin, but that will have to wait for another day.  Red has something planned for tonight and a car is coming to pick me up at 4:30PM, so I have to stop writing so I can get ready.  Look for an update on our trip to Tokyo and first week in Sakhalin soon!
If you want to send us mail (letters only!) please do :).  They have to have Red's name on it.
  • Brendan "Red" McGehee, c/o Sakhalin Mail Pouch
  • PO Box 4490
  • Houston, TX 77210-4490
Love,
Carrie

PS -  For those of you with questions about the weather and how we are surviving:
Today has been the coldest day so far, at -7 degrees Celcius with 36km/h winds, and the people here tell me that it isn’t cold yet, that “cold” doesn’t come until January…I’m not sure that I agree with them.  The good thing is that the snow and the mountains are absolutely beautiful!

3 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary!! So grateful for your update! We love you both dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good to hear from you! Please keep the updates coming. I hope you have a good camera along with you as well. Would love to see pictures! Tell Red the little one is doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always so thoughtful Carrie, thank you for sharing. You & Red are two of the most beautiful friends we 've ever met. Happy anniversary and best wishes! Warm hugs from Texas. Dan & Beth

    ReplyDelete