It's a common question: what is the hardest thing about being an expat? It is not a different culture, language, food, friends, groceries, freedoms, or weather...
For me the hardest thing about being an expat is being away when my grandmother is ill.
When I lived in Texas, I could call her any time to check up on her - now my calling hours are limited by vastly different time zones. If something were wrong I could be in Fort Worth in 4 hours on a single tank of gas - now it's 24 hours and several thousand dollars.
I received an email this evening that my Grandmoma is back in the hospital after almost 6 hospital free months and I'm sad for her. Each time she is ill or has fallen, it reminds me of her physical fragility and reminds me that all of life is fragile and not to be taken for granted. I cannot be there in person for her tonight, but I can pray to a God who is everywhere, not bound by continents or time zones. Tonight I'm asking Him to comfort her and ease her pain and heal her body.
I love my Grandmoma!
No comments:
Post a Comment