Thursday, August 15, 2013

Blog-a-thon Day 1/10: Fishing, Fishing and MORE Fishing

FISHING. The subject of this post should come as no surprise.  After all, I am married to Red McGehee.
 
When we found out we were moving to Sakhalin, we watched the movie Eastern Rises, about fishing in Kamchatka, and Red started dreaming.  He has talked non-stop, even before we arrived in Russia, about fishing: ice fishing, summer fishing, catching huge salmon fishing and fishing before work, after work and on weekends.  He has been on a mission this summer to catch some fish and he (and I) have gotten to do just that.  Thank you to our awesome friends (you know who you are!) who have shared their fishing secrets with us.  We would not have been able to go fishing if it weren't for you taking Red to the right stores, showing him exactly what to buy to catch each fish and then taking us out and showing us where to go.  Today happens to be a rainy day, so there will be no after work fishing, but Red will still be thinking about fish I’m sure, so I thought I’d share with you some of our photographed fishing adventures.
 
March 2013: Australia Fishing and Ice Fishing
Walls of Jerusalem NP, Tasmania, Australia...breathtakingly beautiful
 
Back on Sakhalin...I got one before Red did!
 
Red's fish vs Anton's fish...
 
Our Expert Teacher - Alex
May 2013: Turkey...a different sort of fishing... 
 
Red and Doug intently study the available fish...
 

So many to choose from...

 
They decided on this monster of a fish!
 
And it was delicious!
May 2013: Let the Sakhalin summer adventures begin...with fishing of course! A quick trip to the river.
Azeem and His Fish

Red and Oleg with a Fish

Hannan with her BIG Fish

Me Still Trying to Catch A Fish...

June 2013: First attempt at catching a Sakhalin Salmon...
Walking to the river from our campsite
 
This is the shop where you buy your license for salmon.
 
What a nice looking fish and a handsome fisherman!
 
Of all the fish in the river, Red and Oleg decided to hook the same one!!
 
My little bitty fish :)
 
Ildar got one too!
 
Fishing at sunrise
 
Riverside Sunrise in Sakhalin
 
June 2013: Flounder and more...
 
Reeling them in one by one...
 
It was Lena's first time flounder fishing and she caught two at once...crazy!
 
A big one! :)
 
What is that ugly fish?!
 
I'm telling you - the masters catch two at a time, it's incredible!
 
Our fishing boat - about 10 people, 20 bucks a person, can't beat that!
After work fishing - Red was so excited!
Fresh caught/cooked salmon and homemade pelmeni - yum!
 
July and August 2013: Salmon!!!!
August is usually the men's annual fishing trip to Utah.  Red was bummed to miss it, so in the spirit of the trip, he caught some sweet Sakhalin Salmon instead.  Maybe next year, the annual fishing trip can happen on Sakhalin or even Kamchatka...
 
 

Showing off on Skype because I was in Sapporo

Red is SO happy!
 
I hope you've enjoyed our fish stories.  Red will be heading home from work soon and I know he will be dreaming of fishing tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that... 
 
Carrie
 
(I had to write this blog instead of Red to keep him honest about how big the fish were. wink,wink)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! So good to hear about your fishing adventures.I wish I was there. Sounds like so much fun. Xoxo,rachel ps. Ashlyn says hi! We should skype soon. You won't believe how much she's grown up.

    ReplyDelete